Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Out of Whack

What do you do when you're just not feeling it? It's not necessarily about motivation, it's your body just NOT functioning properly.

Today I got on the treadmill and admittedly, I wasn't feeling motivated. I sat in the gym parking lot for a few minutes after babysitting, contemplating the amount of snow on the ground and trying to decide if I should stay out or go straight home. I really was just looking for an out (...even though the amount of snow was insane. And 10-16 more inches tomorrow! Woohoo!).


(My car before I went out to babysit.)

I forced myself into the gym because I know I won't be able to workout this upcoming weekend, so I had to at least do something. I started out on the treadmill, and literally just couldn't do it. I walked a little to warm up, and then tried to run at my typical pace. I told myself I just had to do a couple miles, then I'd get on the bike.

...I couldn't even run half a mile. Now back in September, this would have been par for the course. But it's not September anymore. I can run at least four miles without having to stop, and today I couldn't do more than half a mile. At first, around the .30 point, I was telling myself it was all about the mental fortitude. I told myself that I've forced myself through this wall before, and I can do it again. Not even "Like a G6" could get me in the zone! And while I'm thinking about how I can't get in the zone (which is a bad idea, anyway), I stumbled and almost ate treadmill. I righted myself and dealt with it - I'm pretty freaking uncoordinated so almost doing a faceplant really isn't that rare for me. However, about thirty seconds later, it happened again. This time I had to catch myself on the front of the treadmill, and barely managed to do that. That's when I decided I was done. I got on the bike and did 13 miles, but still never really got into the zone.

Does this ever happen to you? Does your body ever just totally let you down? Mine let me down today. I'm trying to shake it off, but I know it'll cause a mental block the next time I get on the treadmill.

Blah.


(Really old picture, but the only picture I have of me doing a sadface. Oh, and that's one of my bffs, Meredith. Say hi, Meredith.)

The good news is...


There's always a silver lining. I may be in a crappy mood right now, but I can sleep in tomorrow. At least there's that.

3 comments:

  1. It happens. So just let it be. When it happens to me, I think it's more my mind telling me I need a break. I do try and most times if I can thru that first mile, then I am good to go. If not, I try not to beat myself up and just give myself the break my body and/or mind is craving.

    Chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes your body just needs a break, like your mind does sometimes. It's ok to take a bit and just relax. You'll feel so much better in the long run. Haha, no pun intended.

    ReplyDelete