Sunday, November 21, 2010

Here we go.

One of two things has happened. Either I've officially lost my mind OR I've entered an alternate universe. A few weeks ago I made the decision to enter a triathlon on May 22, 2011. This will be two days before my 25th birthday, and when I pull it off, it will mean I pulled off a lifelong goal just in time to turn 25.

As I was about to type "if I pull it off," I quickly deleted "if" and put in "when" instead. Why do that when there is the possibility that plans will fall through? Because it's all about mindset. WHEN I complete the triathlon, I will probably collapse for a little while and spend my 25th birthday in pain. IF I do not follow through with the triathlon, I will feel like a failure. I don't do failure. I know what I want, and I want to achieve this - and I KNOW I can achieve this. No "ifs" in this blog - only "whens."

The reason I feel the need to start a blog about this is simple: I've gone into tunnel vision mode, and I realize that many of the people in my life do not actually enjoy talking about races every time I speak to them. However, I do want to track my training, successes, and inevitable letdowns.

Oh, and the latest thing I'm trying out (because every little bit helps): Over the summer, my dad became obsessed with the bracelets with magnets in them - or as he calls them, "voodoo bracelets." Despite his derogatory nickname, he swears by them now. Today I ordered a bracelet and an ankle bracelet (because if they do work, the closer to my knees the better) and I can't wait for them to come in.


(The blue will match my running shoes. Shut up, I'm not a dork.)

Training officially begins a week from today. I probably won't post again until then, but I wanted to kick this thing off.

Success: Yesterday I completed a 10k.
Letdown: Today, every muscle in my body hurts.

1 comment: